Monday, March 10, 2014

We had transfers, and I found out I'm staying here!! :D So so so happy I'm not leaving! I still have so much work to do here! And I'm getting an awesome companion! Her name is Sister Herdman. She was one of the sisters that I shared an apartment complex with in my last area! She is from Provo, Utah and is just so cute! I'm excited to serve with her! 

Sister Smith is being transferred to St. Louis Hills. She'll be going to church where I went when I was in Webster Groves. The boundaries and names of wards have changed since then. 
Sister Firestone is staying here and is training a new missionary! 
Sister Bailey is whitewashing Parkway with a sister I have never met. 

This next transfer is going to be awesome! I can't wait! I also get to go to the transfer meeting to get Sister Herdman, which is exciting because transfer meetings are always fun. 

Okay, here is my big story for the week...
We have a Chinese investigator that goes by the name of Emily. Most Americans can't pronounce her Chinese name. She invited us to come to her apartment to have an authentic Chinese meal with her. The fear came when she said the words "spicy fish soup"... if you know me, you know how I feel about fish. Aaand I'm kind of a baby when it comes to really spicy food. I did my best to mentally prepare myself before the time came to go to her place. 
When we got there, the table was filled with foreign dishes that looked like she had spent a lot of time on. The soup had tofu, fish, really slimy mushrooms and probably 8 other things I couldn't name. I did my best to look happy while trying to just eat the broth. Luckily my companion is a beast and ate all of her soup... I looked on the table for something a little more appealing. Ribs! Oh yes, I can eat ribs. I love ribs! So I tried to fill up on the ribs and white rice. Once we were full I was surprised when she said there was dessert. Then mortified when she said it was cold soup... this soup was made from fungus and had the consistency of snot. Ugh :| it was so scary! She even showed us the fungus it was made from and I was so sad that I wasn't a better actress. I am so bad at hiding my true emotions! 
Luckily my companion is awesome and she ate it. ALL of the brown goop! I have no idea how she did it! She later said that she didn't know how she kept from gagging. I was doing my best to make it look like I was eating it but Sister Smith had to rescue me and say I was probably still really full from the meal. Oh it was so bad. I don't know how we survived. Then when we were walking back from eating Sister Smith goes, "I can't believe there was wine on the ribs."
"WHAT???" I exclaimed. "There was WINE on it??"
"Yeah! You didn't hear her say that?"
"No! I hardly understand anything she says! Why didn't you tell me?! I ate two of them!"
"I thought you knew!"
I definitely didn't know... at all. Hopefully it cooked out but Sister Smith said she could taste the alcohol. I couldn't because I have no idea what alcohol tastes like! 
Our stomachs hurt for the rest of the night. 
It was so nice of Emily to cook an authentic meal for us, but I think it's safe to say I should never visit China.

We got a new investigator this week named Rian! She is a friend of a member in the branch. She comes from a Catholic and Baptist background and is really nice. She's looking for some direction in her life and we had a good lesson with her. 

Crystal isn't taking the lessons anymore. She was right on track and then she stopped returning our calls. Our friend Sam who is her fellow-shipper said that she thinks one of her friends talked her out of it. We're sad :( 
But one day she will come around!

Jamie is doing well and so is Jake. They both know it's true and are working towards being baptized. 


The weather is getting better and I am so excited for spring to come! Life is great and I love being a missionary! Thanks for all your prayers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment